Tuesday, February 8, 2011

real guilt.

for about 6 months now, val has been having episodes where he just freezes & stares into space for a few seconds, & sometimes his eyes tremble a bit. they would literally last for maybe 1 or 2 seconds, & be gone, & he would be fine afterwards.
i mentioned it to N, he said "i don't see anything" & dismissed it. i mentioned it to my mom, who said "i bet he's just peeing" & dismissed it, i asked my dad, who said "it's just a shiver" & dismissed it. none of those answers really jived with me, but i decided i was being paranoid & was persuaded not to call our doc.
then this past sunday, he had a much longer episode, where his whole body shook & he was completely out of it for 10-15 seconds. (me:" val? val? VAL?" him: no response.)
he was right as rain afterwards, but it finally clicked in my head what i'd been seeing, & i told N val was having seizures. we called the doc monday morning, he was seen that day & we scheduled an EEG & a consult with a neurologist for tomorrow.
i feel horrible for not calling months ago. i KNEW something was wrong, & allowed myself to be swayed. i hate that i wasn't more on top of this. i know the important thing is that we're getting help NOW, & our pedi assures me that we haven't done any lasting harm by delaying, but i cannot stop beating myself up over this. i KNEW & i should have acted sooner.
i don't need any "oh, poor you, you did the best you could." i just need to get the guilt out there & own the fact that i screwed up, so i can focus on my val. it's done, we're moving forward, that's what matters. right?

4 comments:

  1. Hey, it's good the pedi reassured you that no harm has been done. How in the world were you supposed to know?? Kids do things sometimes that seem weird but aren't.

    Let us know how the appt goes! I will be thinking of you and little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kids can be complete weirdos, I can see the other's brushing it off. As Mom's we just know, you know?

    I will keep you guys in my thoughts. Hoping that the tests don't show anything, other than you have a wack-a-doodle on your hands :)

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. keeping you and Val in my thoughts and prayers. Rena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could imagine brushing it off, too ... and glad you're moving forward! keeping you in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete