Saturday, February 19, 2011

who needs sleep?

i am spending saturday night home alone with the baby who wouldn't sleep. this kid seems to need less sleep than i do. (heaves sigh.)

this isn't the horrible, frantic sleep deprivation you get with a newborn. it's more subtle. the days & weeks & months of fractured sleep are slowly building into a state of permanant tired. i cannot remember the last time i felt really rested. i can cope (almost cheerfully) most days, but there are signs that the constant state of sleepy is turning into a major brain fog. i am beginning to believe myself to be both bored & boring, which (for me) is a sure sign i need some rest.

just one good night of real, solid sleep & i could happily go back to the grind for another few months. come on, baby... cut mama a break!

3 comments:

  1. Oh man Kate...I totally know how you feel. I was doing 3-4 hour nights on average with Eli. The good news...it wont last forever! (yeah that doesn't help you TODAY...but it's hope!). Now I'm getting about 7. I could do more if I would just get off the computer at night and head to bed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my son was like that for a while ... wishing you a night of respite!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just going to go ahead and ditto Amanda, because she said everything I was going to. At 10 months, Ella finally decided to let me sleep. It will come and somehow you will make it through this with your sanity. :) I will say what all the cute little old ladies say 'one day you will miss this'

    ReplyDelete