Monday, January 10, 2011

snapshots of our weekend, (alternatively titled: a peek at life with N)

friday night: emma hasn't slept more than 20 minutes at stretch in the last 24 hrs, meaning i never went to bed thursday night. after being up for over a day straight, i am totally fried. so whem em starts crying at midnight, after i've just fed her, changed her & got her to sleep for the 4th time, i roll over in bed & tell N "your turn." to which he responds "let her cry". (you all KNOW our stance on CIO, & this was a hysterical, teething, no way i can possibly comfort myself sort of cry. not to mention N KNOWS how long i've been awake & knows it is physically impossible for me to sleep when the baby is screaming.) returning to the story-- i can't even speak, i'm so mad at him, so i roll over, grab my pillow & proceed to beat him over the head with it, then hurl the pillow across the room, & calmly get up to rock emma. (who goes back to sleep like a champ & stays asleep this time.) meanwhile, N stares at me blankly for a minute, then gets up, retrieves the pillow, & puts it back in place. no one speaks of the incident again until the following afternoon, when i tell him what he *should* have done, & he acknowledges he may not have handled the situation with the sensitivity it required.

saturday afternoon: i order myself a kindle with my share of the $$ his folks gave us for christmas. usually we just throw it in savings, but this year i spent it & have been feeling ridiculously guilty ever since. (as in-- "how can i spend this money all on myself, for something no one else can use, when we have 3 kids, & a ton of pets, & so on & so forth. i know, it's just silly mommy guilt, but there it is.) i feel so bad about ordering this thing, that i actually go back online sunday to cancel the order. N catches me at it & forbids me to cancel it & insists that i get it & enjoy it. i still feel guilty, but agree, & he spends the rest of the weekend tormenting me with comments like "sorry val, you'll have to stretch that diaper out an extra hour-- mama bought a kindle." & "i don't know if you can eat dinner tonight conrad-- we may not have enough, bc mama bought a kindle." & on, & on.

sunday night: as i'm kneading bread at the counter, N sneaks up behind me, wraps his arms around my flour-covered self & whispers "you are my perfect", before heading into the living room to dance with the kids.

sometimes life is a beautiful thing.

8 comments:

  1. Kate sweety.. I hate to be the one to tell you, if you feel this way, and don't get over it, you will NEVER have anything nice again. You have the RIGHT to splurge! BTW we just ordered a kindle for GMIL, (still hasn't shipped) I am curious who will get theirs first ;)

    And I admit, I had to laugh about the pillow. I am sure at the time it wasn't funny, but now it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it that you beat him with a pillow. :) You EARNED that kindle. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, we laughed about the pillow beating he took too. :) at least pillow fights are a safe way to get the agression out, lol!

    & i'm keeping the kindle... guilt or no guilt. after all N's teasing there is NO way i am sending it back now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahahaha, that is so funny. I can imagine you, tiny Kate, beating on your big tough cop husband with a pillow in all your fury, LOL!! And then him joking about the kindle... ahhh, that made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listen here girly....the next time you say "snapshots" make sure there are pictures in the post! I want to see more of those kiddos!

    (as you already saw)
    I would like you to know that I recognized you with an award on my blog today!

    http://thejeweledcaptainswife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post. :) Justin also has temporary insanity in the middle of the night, I seriously may use the pillow trick. :) You absolutely deserve that kindle!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete