Sunday, June 7, 2009

"yes, they're twins. no, you can't touch them."

i thought that bc multiples are becoming more & more common that we wouldn't draw that much attention when we go out. i mean, it's not like we have septuplets or something. but just about every time we go anywhere we get stares & brilliant comments like "are they twins?" i know i shouldn't be annoyed, but i feel like answering-- "no, one belongs to my husband's mistress." just to see what happens. obviously they're twins. why else would i be carting around 2 infants who are clearly the same age?
another favorite is "are they identical?" if you're only looking at photos, ok, it's a little harder. but in person, come on-- they are obviously not identical. which leads to another favorite-- "they don't look like twins." sure they do-- they just don't look like identical twins. considering that fraternal twins are so much more common, i don't know why people assume twins have to look exactly alike.
as long as i'm venting, here is one of my biggest peeves--i've also noticed kids are really drawn to the boys. most little kids are interested in babies, but "twins" seems to kick it up a notch. which is ok, as long as the parents are vigilant. i don't care how sweet you think it is that your LO wants to see the babies, i do NOT want your germy child breathing in my babies' faces, let alone trying to touch them. what is it with these parents? grrrr....

7 comments:

  1. It never ceases to amaze me how idiotic some people are. I once had an argument--with a friend, no less--about twins. She was SO confused. I think she was trying to tell me that twins who look alike are fraternal twins, or something dumb, and she was SO insistent that she was right, even though I knew she wasn't, that she just looked extremely uneducated and just plain stubborn. Come on people, get EDUCATED!!! And quit asking stupid questions... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I totally hate the parents who let their LOs come look at babies. I had one a couple weeks ago, little snot nosed kid and the mom picks it up so s/he could look at C. The kid tried to touch him everthing. I was all back off he is a preemie! Which was returned with a look like they just stepped off the short bus.

    The twin thing, when your boy's were little you could not tell if they were identical or not. Now you can totally see that they are not, even in pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I watch a little boy during the day and he looks a lot like Noah (and the same size) and I get stopped every time we go anywhere! Everyone asks "what is it like having twins" and tell me stories about people they know who have twins (like I would really care even if I did have twins). And I was surprised by the amount of advice I got from people who don't even have twins, but think I must need it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my 2 y/o always wants to go look at ppls babies..I don't let her..I think it's rude to let a kid just walk up and be in a lil babies face..and I have 6 (ok almost) kids..I just think like you said ..I don't want my kids giving someones baby their germs.. the other day a lady at my dr had her 6 week old and N wanted to go look..even after she said we could I politely said no thanks..my 4 y/o,she will ask to look and if they agree it's one thing to have her look from a few feet away...but not in their face and she NEVER touches them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh the advice is the worst! epecially unsolicited, from people who i dont knwo & who do not have multiples! SO annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I'm pretty shocked at the horrible comments here by PARENTS about other CHILDREN! Oy, guys, just wait until it's YOUR child that is the "snot nosed" germy brat. :P

    That said, I think that people just think babies are......objects, which is annoying. Babies are not playthings for toddlers, and just like you need to teach toddlers that they don't touch strange animals, toddlers and small children should also be taught not to just go up to strange babies. Who knows what diseases your little baby may carry and may infect my toddler with!!! :P And heavens, two babies.........twice the disease! :P


    Ok,but seriously......it's not the kids fault, it's the parents fault. Parents need to teach their toddlers a little bit of social interaction 101, you don't go up and get in ANYONES face, especially smaller people who can't object. Good rule to live by for all of us I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't think i ever used the term "snot nosed" (however true it may be!), & i do believe i mentioned that the blame lies with the parents-- of course kids can't be expected to know not to touch if their parents don't bother to teach them. interest in the babies is fine, as long as the parents are vigilant. as fellow preemie moms will understand, the extra little ones require some extra vigilance. unfortunately, it seems like far too many folks are oblivious to that fact.

    ReplyDelete