Wednesday, July 8, 2009

the real update....

so here's what we've been up to during my brief hiatus from the blogging world:



one of my best buds from law school & her fiance came to visit. she lives in chicago, he lives in madrid (yes, spain-- lucky girl is moving there after their wedding this fall.) we had a wonderful time-- her fiance is a cop too, so he & N get along famously. it was great to see someone from my old life who i actually really adore. i felt like kate again, instead of just the boys' mom. (yes, mom is my most important role, but it was nice to see that the old kate who used to be out every night & could drink her weight in vodka can co-exist with "kate the mom". true, the drinking is now an occasional luxury, but at least i know the fun kate is still lurking somewhere behind the cases of diapers in our living room.



the boys aunt M single-handedly rescued our 4th of july. we had zero plans (we didn't even have anything to grill) & M came thru with a ready made bbq with her fam (who we love). we even caught some fireworks on the way home, & the boys were champs-- good as gold, with only minimal fussing until we got back home.



we've been working on resumes. (mentioned this below, so i won't dwell on it here.)

val is fussing... to be continued later....

ok, val is fed & (wonder of wonders) conrad is napping! so on with the updates...
we went to my 10th high school reunion since i posted last. i actually ended up having a really good time (although it may have been bc i had my first drink in over a year. yum, beer!) a girl i lost contact with almost immediately after graduation found me & started chatting about her recent infertility problems, (assuming that we'd had help having our twins) & we now have plans to get together again next week. funny how shared misery draws people together, isn't it?

anyways, i dont know why i was worried about going... somehow i can never shake my lingering insecurities (no one will remember me, no one will talk to me, etc). i've always been kind of amazed when it turns out people actually like me. i know that sounds stupid, but its true. i think its the legacy of being a child of an alcoholic parent (although thats a story for another post), but no matter how old i get, i worry that people won't like me. in college, i was shocked to find myself invited to parties, in law school (when i felt confident enough to throw my own parties) i always had to be persuaded at the last minute to get kegs, since i always convinced myself no one would show up (people always did, & my roommates were always right-- we needed the extra kegs), & even at my wedding & showers, i worried that no one would rsvp. i'm almost 30 years old, & i'm still scared of not having friends. it makes me wonder if my perception of myself through time is accurate at all. oh well, now i'm getting all philosophical...

some cousins are coming to visit the dudes tonight, & my house is a mess & conrad is up & fussing, so i'm going to attempt to get things done.

2 comments:

  1. Kate, I totally have that same insecurity!! I always think people aren't going to like me. I am so glad I am not alone.

    So happy to hear you had such a great time at your reunion. Its amazing how many people struggle with infertility and you never know until someone breaks the 'infertitly ice', then it seems like you have a world of things in common.

    We are still praying for N's job situation, keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you had a good time at your reunion!! And that's awesome that your friend from back in the day reminded you that some of the non-mom parts of you still exist. Every momma needs that once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete