Sunday, July 18, 2010

what to do

it's always ben assumed that when the kids were old enough, i would go back to work. (old enough= starting school). i had always assumed i would WANT to go back to work. instead, i find myself dreading the prospect of finding employment beyond that of full-time mom.
i feel like this is the role/job i was meant to have, & it's the only thing i've ever really loved doing. that said, there will come a point where the kids no longer want mom around all the time, & it's jus tnot practical for me to be hanging around the house indefinetly. so maybe when that time comes i will want to return to work. or maybe i'm only dreading the prospect because i don't knwo what i'd do with myself. i don't want to practise law & that is all i've ever done, with the exception of teaching pre-school. an english degree & a j.d. just don't qualify you for much in the way of practical employment.
i really like the dental hygenist idea, but without taking out more loans, it's not feasible anymore given recent changes in the trooper's contract with the state (i.e. N's paycheck.) my hope is i can do the dental thing at a later date... or maybe we'll win the lottery & i can be a SAHM mom indefinetly. (unlikely, as we don't play the lottery. but hey, a girl can hope, right?)

6 comments:

  1. i totally feel you on this one. the thought of having a find a job makes my skin crawl. i think part of that is that i was really hating my job when i left after having the babe. i have always assumed i would get to stay home until kids are all school aged as well. so my plan? keep having babies! ha. that and dh finally finding a better job so i dont have money anxiety all the time.
    and who knows - maybe we'll be surprised at how much there still is to have to take care of at home even when all the kiddo's are in school.
    orrrrr we could come up with our own reality series - the real housewives of ...blogland?
    WAIT! we can't leave the furbabies home all alone! there - there's the ticket to forever being a SAHM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I am right there with you. Although, for me, knowing that the kid(s) have a potential to be home-schooled (with exception of gym and the arts) that is going to be something that full time employment won't mesh with, so, i have that to think about too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. see and here I am itching to find a full time job. BUT mine is because I want out of where I am so bad and I know the only way to get out of where I work/live is full time employment. But I liked to work (when I didn't have to pay daycare).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if you have to you could find a job with the school district? They don't pay much but associate jobs here are pretty nice. That's what I did while I was still going to school, and I worked the same hours as school was in session. And got all the school vacations. I think that is what I will do when the boys are in school. That way I can just go right along with them LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you mean teaching assisstant jobs? i'd never thought of that, what a good idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to second Amanda's suggestion. The best bonus is that you know everyone who is around your kids and they know you! The pay here kind of sucks, but the schools I work at are very accomodating of their teachers with children so you get some intangible bonuses.

    And as far as the whole post goes, I am feeling quite the same...

    ReplyDelete