Friday, February 12, 2010

an ode to the first love of my life

ok, maybe not an ode, since i'm not much for poems, but at least a post devoted to him, since its almost valentine's day & all.

why i love my husband:
  • he is not romantic. he's brought me flowers exactly twice in all the time we've known each other (once on our first date, & once when i was in the hospital recovering from an apendectomy), he doesn't do sweet mushy things or call me pet names, he almost never tells me i'm beautiful, & he frequently forgets to do things like get me a christmas or birthday gift. (& now you're all wondering why i love this man, right?) well, what he does do is share my sense of humor, love my family as his own, think it's "cool" that my favorite tv show is antiques roadshow, eat all of my cooking experiments (even the vegetarian ones) without complaint, collects & puts away every night all the random odds & ends that i've "lost" during the course of the day, willingly puts his life on the line every day he goes to work, tries his best every day to be a good cop, a good husband, son & father, & never ends a conversation without telling me that he loves me. to me, that's REAL romance.
  • he also makes the best carrot cake in the entire world, as well as a mean cheesecake & totally amazing red velvet cake.
  • he never judges my family members who are fighting addiction, & is nothing but supportive both of me & of them.
  • he loves animals & is secretly a bigger softie than i am when it comes to rescue critters.
  • our sons adore him.
  • he's HOT.
  • & finally, he loves me. how do you not love that?

so that's my hubby. why do you love yours?

3 comments:

  1. Kate, this is such a sweet post. What a special message about your husband.

    I love my husband for many reasons. Right now, I love him most because he is standing by me as I adjust to being a mom. I am really struggling with balancing all parts of my life and he hasn't waivered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart this post!

    My husband isn't a romantic either, and it took me a long time to realize I don't need it.

    I love him because he's my best friend. I know that's cheesy but it's true. Most people probably think that what we have is a dying marriage because we "hang out" and act more like friends, but I think that's what makes it more of a marriage.
    He's the weirdest man on the planet and I wish I could even explain the weirdness. An example would be: every night when we're brushing our teeth before bed (and it's ALWAYS when brushing our teeth) he asks me what I would think if he wanted to change his name to: (insert some random made up crazy name). every. single. night.
    He never played the typical guy games when we first started dating. We met in a bar and talked until 4am as my friend and his friend both made out all night. After that I figured I'd never see him again. He called the next day. And the next day and pretty much every day since. I knew he was "the one" when he came to a family party at my parents house after only knowing me for 4 days. And stayed the whole night and hung out with my parents after everyone else had left. It'll be 10 years this May.
    I love him because he loves me unconditionally.
    I love him because he gets up with little man every single morning and lets me sleep in. (But he enjoys his dude time, so we both win there).
    I love him because he can always make me laugh even when he isn't trying to and that has become my most important thing. Although I hate it when he makes me laugh when I'm trying to be pissed at him.
    Also - this isn't a reason I love him, but i LOVE watching him run. I choke up every time he finishes a race. He just amazes me. I'm lame.
    Thanks for reminding me how much I love my hubs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet topic!

    I love Sean because...

    -No one on this planet will ever adore me like he does.
    -He still gets mushy when thinking about me, even after 10 years together.
    -He is an incredible father.
    -He forgives me without question when I screw up (and I have screwed up BIG time in the past).
    -We see eye-to-eye on religion, politics, etc.
    -He always lets me win. :)
    -SO many other reasons.

    ReplyDelete