Tuesday, December 29, 2009

my least favorite holiday

i love christmas, but i have never liked new years. out of the last 12 or so years, i can think of maybe 3 that didn't suck & 2 of those started our horribly. there's just so much pressure to have a date, &/or do something really cool, & neither of those things ever worked out for me. even after N & i got together, he's worked almost every new years, so i still ended up flying solo.

the first new years i had that didn't suck, i was at an AWFUL party in chi til almost midnight, when i finally escaped the skanky dudes trying to line up a kiss. that particular party had started with throwing a bunch of computer equipment onto DiverseyPkwy. from the window of the apartment, & ended with a bunch of my roommate's summer camp friends getting naked & extremely weird. ("camp" people are just odd... if you went to summer camp, i'm sure it was great for you, but to the rest of us, all your rituals & stories & jokes are just, well, weird.) anyways, i left the party about 20 to midnight, walked over to my friend amy's apartment, watched the ball drop by myself & then called amy to say i was there & watching her 20yrs of oprah dvds. which was enough to convince her to leave her crappy party & come watch oprah with me... it ended up being a surprisingly good time.

my next decent new years was also in chicago, with my best law school friend (NC--who now lives in L.A. with her fabulous hubby). it was NC, me, NC's brother, NC's then-boyfriend (now husband) & a random friend from her temple. we started in the burbs, finally made it downtown, couldn't catch a cab, finally got the world's smallest, stinkiest cab & then couldn't find our party. so at 1130, we gave up, stopped the cab in front of a random party & crashed it. of course, in a city of millions, we end up at a party thrown by the good friends of a guy i had just dumped, & dumped hard. sigh... miraculously, it ended up being a really fun party despite the initial hostility. it was also the night NC's man confessed to me he was planning on proposing to NC. i don't think i've ever drank so much champagne. which tastes even better when you haven't paid for a drop of it!

my favorite new years was the only one N has had off since i've known him. it was our first as a married couple, & in reaction to our shared dislike of new year's parties, we invited my folks, my best friend & her folks over to hang out. we drank beer, played games all night, wore silly hats & basically had a really fantastic time. i think that was my fav bc it was completely low-pressure & no stress. i'm just not cool enough for new year's, i guess.

anyways, last year i spent the night pregnant & asleep. also my plans for this year, since N is working. actually, who am i kidding... even if he were off, i'd still be asleep. i just don't like new year's.

5 comments:

  1. I would have to say my least favorite holiday is Christmas, with Valentines a close second. I LOVE new years, not because of the whole need to find a date crap, I was totally cool flying solo for the night. Anyway, it is the whole a new year a new start thought.

    Now that the kids are older (minus the two littles) it is so much more fun, movies, games, eating junk.. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, got me thinking which I dislike...I guess I like them all, but Thanksgiving is one that really isn't a bigge to me, and halloween, i really can't get into it now as an adult...

    New Years, yeah, I like it well enough to stay up and watch the ball drop, but I am soon asleep afterwards, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never celebrate. We were going to go to a midnight wedding, but I don't want to leave Noah with MIL because she can't seem to follow my schedule. So...another year home, and in bed at the usual time. I like watching the fireworks on tv, so we just watch some other countries who are ahead in time zone. Its just not worth it to stay up and lose a few hours of good sleep to me!

    My least fav holiday is thanksgiving. Love the food...but hate how hectic the day is going from family to family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I agree - New Year's is my least favorite as well. It is always such a let down!
    However, sounds like you had fun party crashing that year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I will be in bed on time. I can ring in the new year in the morning after a full nights sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete