Friday, March 5, 2010

family habits

i firmly believe that people are creatures of habit, & some of the best memories stem from family rituals. they may be silly, or simple, or just plain weird, but i think they're important. some of my favorite memories from childhood aren't the big events, but recollections of the everyday routine.

my mom & i were talking about our "old" family rituals, which got me thinking about our "new" family rituals....
  • the friday fish fry at a local diner, ever since we've been married. N is barely catholic, but is 100% devoted to fish on fridays. needless to say, that's our plan for today as soon as he's out of court (yay OT!)
  • since the boys have been born, our bedtime ritual involved some serious tickles from daddy, without which they are very put out.
  • our morning ritual involves some hang out time in jammies for all participating parties, then oatmeal & fruit while we watch cooper & scout (the birds) run amok on the kitchen table (the birds get to be free range while they eat their breakfast).
  • the guys also insist on being in their high chairs to watch me cook dinner in the evenings. i'm not sure how this became a ritual, but they have to be in there with me, playing with measuring spoons (or other baby-safe kitchen implements), while mom sings & dances around the kitchen, or riots ensue.
  • good night moon is also a MUST before naptime. if i try another book, tears are pretty much inevitable. we love good night moon.
  • every christmas eve is spent at my aunt's. mass, dinner & N's red velvet cake, every year. the man can BAKE.
  • another baking related ritual-- ever since N joined the family, he bakes for every birthday, & every special occasion. when something is coming up, he gets requests from family weeks in advance. however, i usually get final say on what he makes. (one of the perks of being the wife!)
  • every weekend when my folks are in town, we all go to the same diner & the same waitress brings every one (except me, i choose to be difficult) the same breakfast & the same drinks, while the guys make a huge mess of their toast & we watch all the awesome church hats.

looking back on your childhood, what stands out most-- special occasions, or every day, every week, every month, every year kind of things? what are some of your family rituals from then & now?

2 comments:

  1. Family dinners! Some of my most fond (and not so fond) memories are from family dinners. Granted growing up it was my parents and I, (and later Jeremy when he moved in, long story) and on often occasions a random friend I would have over.. but still...

    Family dinners to me are a MUST. (Ok, with Jeff's work schedule, they are at least MOST of the time, every now and then a 'fend' or eat where you want night is ok...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours, we eat at the table every night. We might talk, we might not, but we eat as a family.

    Christmas eve jammies and a movie, the jammies started when I was a child, the movie started with P.

    (sorry got distracted I really stalk you!!)

    Wed night ghost hunters, J and I will hide out in my room with junk food and watch ghost hunters.

    That is all I can think of, but I know there is more.

    ReplyDelete