Wednesday, March 3, 2010

go ahead & gain!

gaining weight sucks. period. i was skinny my whole life, & do not enjoy the pudge that comes with pregnancy. that said, i have no qualms gaining whatever i need to gain for my kids. i try not to complain, bc 1) my babies' health is way more important, 2) its a temporary condition, & 3) you're SUPPOSED to gain weight while you're pg. bearing all that in mind, it really irks me when women get all hysterical over their weight during pg. it is what it is. just eat healthy, know you're taking care of your unborn kid, & deal with the "losing" part afterwards.

lest anyone think i don't understand how much it sucks to be huge & have to fight to lose again, here is my personal weight gain story:
before i got pg with the guys, i weighed 110 lbs, soaking wet. when i was pg with the boys, the MFM wanted me to gain 70 lbs.... i did, & then added about 20 lbs of water weight the last 2 weeks of pg from the stupid pre-e. that's a 90 lb total weight gain, folks. i lost 60 of it in 6 mos, & was working on the remaining 30 when i got KU again. i don't begrudge my kids the weight gain, bc both boys were nearly 5 lbs at birth, which was a huge advantage for them as 33 weekers. nonetheless, weight 200 lbs was NOT my idea of cool.
this pg, i'm 26 & 1/2 weeks pg & already up 30 lbs. sigh. i'm not thrilled, but i eat really well-- bc we eat with my folks every night while their house is being re-done (they have no kitchen) we eat exclusively low-fat, no sugar, no salt, low-carb meals. other than that, i eat cheerios, fruit & the occasional cookie. even when my folks aren't around, we eat well (altho i don't omit salt when it's just us.) it's not like i'm hogging out, i'm just gaining like a sow. my OB is totally unconcerned & when i asked him about it, he said that some women just gain alot every pg & that it just seems to be what their body needs to do. he also pointed out that the weight was coming off pretty well after the boys' birth, even after i had to stop nursing, so i shouldn't worry myself about what i'm gaining this time around. i'm still not thrilled, but i'm not going to go all "woe-is-me" or spend time pouting about my weight. (there will be time for that AFTER 3 is here! jk... hpoefully BF-ing will help, & after a few mos, i'll just have to re-commit to going to the gym. i know N will be willing to babysit to get his skinny wife back, lol!)

obviously, i'm not going to diet or do anything crazy while i'm pg-- baby comes first, not mom's vanity. i know women however, who have limited their calorie intake while pg so that they don't gain, or gain only 10 lbs, & i just don't get it. (i'm speaking of women who were a healthy weight to start with. i know the weight reccomendations are different for different-sized girls.) why would you jeopardize your kid's health just so YOU look a little better? i just don't get it & i'm sick of the whining from women who are gaining a normal, healthy amount with each pregnancy. just deal with it-- your body is not your own while you're pg, so accept it & focus on being healthy, not on the scale.

5 comments:

  1. AMEN!!!! I would much rather pork on the pounds to ensure my child is healthy than sacrifice her health for vanity. I can worry about getting my booty back in shape later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're absolutely right,it drives me NUTS to hear preggo women complaining about their weight while pregnant and the "I look fat" etc...

    NO YOU DON'T! YOU LOOK PREGNANT! DUH!

    Sorry I get ya though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one drives me insane!

    My oh so lovely niece said she wanted her baby out NOW (she is due about the same time as you) because she was getting fat. I wanted to slap the silly outta that girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. uuuggghhhh. while i did not love the fact that i gained 40 lbs with my pregnancy when I probably only needed about 15, I tried not to complain about it too much. it was my own fault, no one made me overeat. but whatever, i have a healthy kid and he was worth it. i think the only reason i ever felt bad about it was comments I got from jerks who think its ok to comment on a preggo's weight. my MIL included. shes a gem.

    i do know a girl who has had an eating disorder for a very long time and struggled with the necessary weight gain, wanted her babies out because she felt gross, etc. i know i will never understand having an eating disorder ( i love food too much and im terrified of vomiting), but i REALLY couldn't understand why she didn't understand that it wasn't about JUST HER anymore. that goes for the rest of these women who complain about getting "fat". they should feel lucky to be able to bear children at all! easier said than done though, and i'm sure they have their side of the story too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like you, Kate, I was always pretty skinny growing up, and the weight gain thing was kinda hard for me. I gained about 50 pounds with Nolan (a lot of it was water weight, I think, b/c I was super swollen with him and that went away after a week or so). But... it was so worth it. I have a healthy, happy little boy, and that's all that matters. It does help me feel better that I seem to be losing pretty fast too though, I lucked out. However, the stretch marks will never go away (I even have 'em on my calves, ewww lol) but that's okay too--it's a reminder of all that I went through to get him here, and believe it or not, that's a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete