Sunday, September 27, 2009

Beets, Buds & Birds

Beets are delicious. No, really-- they are. I roasted beets for the first time a few days ago (drizzled with olive oil & sprinkled with thyme & a little salt & pepper) & sauteed up the greens (i love "greens" of any kind. i know i'm a yankee girl & i'm not supposed to be into that, but i LOVE them.) anyways, i've been craving beets in the worst way ever since.

:)

My other best friend (K) came up from charlotte to visit this past week to visit her newest niece, & i got to spend the afternoon with her on friday. she only visits a couple times a year, & they're always whirlwind trips bc her family makes a lot of demands on her when she's here (big part of reason why she moved away), & this is the first time since the dudes were born that i actually got to go out with her & M. it reminded me how much i miss K. she's one of those people who seem to carry around their own personal sunshine. Even though she's going through some hard times with her husband right now & is feeling sort of down & confused, she still manages to make everyone around her smile. its not an act she puts on, she just genuinely manages to find the light in any situation. it's rare quality & i miss her lots.

in critter news, we're working on breaking the birds of a bad screaming habit. parrots are by nature noisy, & i don't mind normal racket (the boys don't even notice it), but lately they've developed a screaming game. we keep them in separate cages that face each other, so even when they aren't sharing a cage, they can interact. (they don't share a cage 100% of the time, bc they like to have bird sex. i would love for them to be able to have all the bird sex they want, but we really don't want eggs. scout is not maternal & cooper is the most jealous bird in the world. so no eggs. plus, i think its irresponsible to breed birds without having good homes for them.) anyways... scout has developed a habit of screaming to coop when they're separated, who then screams back & this continues for a while, & then they laugh like crazy. i'm trying to keep them in the same cage, but without all their hidey-holes, so they can't sneak off & get it on. wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. LMAO Bird sex! I am sorry but that had me laughing my ass off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd scream too if you took away my bird lover ;) kidding. but yeah that would get old fast.

    Woot for the visit with one of your bff's :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol. "bird sex" just made me crack the hell up.

    And beets are gross. What is wrong with you?? ~wink~


    (kate, I wanted to apologize yet again for getting all mad on my blog. When I read your post, it was in my reader and honestly, I didn't really know it was ~you~. I thought it was more a random blog than someone who is such a good reader of mine and I should have been much less rude. If I had known it was ~you~, I would have just emailed you personally and gotten my grievance out that way. I guess I just was having a bad day. Not an excuse, but a reason. I really compliment you on how you handled your response and accepted my apology. I know this is an over and done with topic, but yeah, it still breaks my heart I called you out so pubically like I did. You read my blog and know I'm not just a bitch! Again, I'm sorry!)

    ReplyDelete