Saturday, August 15, 2009

Career Change?

ok, once again i'm back to debating my future career plans. i just cannot justify continuing with the historic preservation degree. i love the subject matter, but the pay stinks (not a huge factor, but something to consider since i'll be incuring even more student loans), & the job prospects in MI are slim to none. the economy here isn't likely to turn around any time soon, N's job is in constant peril from stupid politicians, & we have 2 hungry little dudes to take care of. so i think i need something cheaper to obtain & with more reliable job prospects.
don't get me wrong, i'm not about to rush off & tackle something i'd hater doing. i just think it's pry time to grow up a bit. i knew when we decided to try for the dudes that there would be some sacrifices, & i think this is one that i'm willing to make. our family's security is more important than my infatuation with history, & i think i've finally found sometihng that i'd really like doing.

ready for it? i want to go back to school to be a dental hygienist. yup, i want to clean teeth. i really think i'd like it. i like dealing with people, i like focussing on details, i think i'd dig the whole tooth-realted health care scene. the catch is i have to pick up a bunch of science classes before i could start the program, since i was an english major in college. so my plan is to get organized this weekend, & then call the univeristy on monday & talk to a counselor about getting into their dental hygiene program. in theory, if i started work on the pre-reqs this fall hopefully (or this winter at the latest) i'd be done with the whole deal in 3-4 years, just in time for the kids to be starting pre-school, which is when N & I had always planned on me returning to work.
N thinks this is all a fabulous idea, but i haven't mentioned it to anyone else yet (parents especially) for fear they'll think it's just kate being flaky again. i hate having to defend my choices, & i'm kind of gearing up to go on the defensive with this one. especially since returning to school will require some extra baby-sitting time that we're really hoping my mom will provide.

3 comments:

  1. Well personally I would hate that (I'm a germ freak, and mouths have way too may germs!), but I think you should go for it if you would like it. Maybe you could call a few offices and ask if you could shadow someone for a few days. That way you can get a feel for what it would be like day to day. I think you would be the only hygientist in town with a law degree LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking last night about what i want to do. :) I was a history major in college with hopes of teaching, but after subbing for a while a few years ago, i'm not so sure.

    I say if that's what you want to do, go for it!

    And I still have to justify my choices to my parents :) bah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so motivated! That sounds like a great plan to me. Lots of luck with all the pieces falling into place! Hopefully talking to your parents won't be as hard as you imagine.

    ReplyDelete