Wednesday, August 12, 2009

City Living

in the next 2 mos (sept & oct) we have 2 weddings to go to in Chicago for some friends from law school. they're actually 2 of my favorite people, & i could not be happier for either of them, but good lord, after only 2 years away i forgot how expensive it is to live in the city. we called to book our hotel for the wedding in september yesterday, bc in true kate style, i blanked on the date we had to book our room by at the hotel the couple reserved rooms at. so the hotel they reserved was full, & i ended up calling every hotel in the lincoln park/gold coast area trying to find something that was available under $400 a night. yup, $400 a night. we finally found something for the bargain price of $250, & i fully plan on emptying the room of everything that isn't nailed down when we leave. ;)
in spite of the fact that we'll have to carouse with a bunch of lawyers (most of whom really make me want to punch them & some of whom actually deserve it) i'm looking forward to it. i'm dying for some real deep dish pizza... it's just not the same if you aren't in chicago, you know? & we'll have to hit garret's popcorn for my folks, who will be on baby sitting duty that weekend. & i'll catch up with my old roommates, who are now married & engaged & both of whom are perfectly skinny & rich & will be showing off large diamonds for sure. sometimes i wonder how i ever fit in with that crowd... nonetheless, the groom to be (my old law school bud) is a fantastic human being & a genuinely good guy in a profession filled with slimebags, so even if i had to face every WASP in chicago, we'd make the trip!

a bit of randomness: are my kids huge, or is it just me? i've been thinking they're pretty normal size (oh, ok, i guess i know they're kinda big...) they're around 15-16 lbs & over 24 inches long.... (last doc appt was almost a month ago, so i'm guessing here.) i am not a big person & was a very petite baby/kid... i feel like i'm growing monsters! the little buggers will be taller than me by the time they start kindergarten.... geesh... not to mention they outgrow clothes as soon as i buy them. this is a normal baby thing, right?

2 comments:

  1. Hope you have fun at the weddings! That's crazy how expensive the hotels are in Chicago. I don't even usually spend that much in NYC when I travel there for work.

    I find it amusing that you also think most lawyers are slime-bags! I work with (for) laywers but I'm not one myself - and most just annoy the crap out of me! I'm glad it's not just me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome though, that you guys get to have an adult night out...plus i heart chicago. :) i wouldn't live there, but i loved driving there and staying for a few days (i'm from mil.waukee)

    And yeah! Boys seem to be bigger than girls as far as weight and what not. My daughter was a good size at birth 8lbs and grew steadily and when my exSIL had her boy he was just huge! he usually weighed more than her and they were months apart. :)

    it will start to level out a little...my little girl is 2 and her short sleeve shirts fit but none of her pants do. so i have to get stuff every season...

    ReplyDelete