Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sleeping Babies & Snobby Parents

as i sit here watching my exhausted boys refuse to nap, i am left pondering the politics of getting your kid to sleep. a disclaimer: if your precious little angel sleeps through the night & you are convinced that its all due to your stellar parenting, please quit reading NOW.

for the rest of us sleep deprived parents, ever notice how snobby people are about their sleeping babies? i am firmly convinced that having a child who sleeps through the night before age 2 (i mean ALL the way through... not just 5 hrs at a stretch) is largely due to luck & nothing more. N & i are not high stress parents, we don't always rock or feed the boys to sleep; we roll with whatever their needs seem to be on any given night. they just aren't & never have been, "good" sleepers. more personal evidence that its all luck: my family tends to have lots of kids, & within each nuclear family, there is a consistent mix of "good" & "bad" sleepers. it's really just luck folks, & maybe genetics. it's not bc you never rocked your baby to sleep, or always rocked your baby to sleep, or give them a bottle at night, or breastfed until they were 3. you just got lucky. i wish people would bear that in mind before launching into a "how to get your child to sleep" monologue. every kid is different, & there is not a one size fits all solution.

& while i'm on the topic of sleep, has anyone else noticed how judgemental folks get when you say you don't buy the "cry it out" philosophy? i hate how CIO is considered by so many to be the gold standard of sleep techniques. (if you have been drinking the koolaid, calm down, i'm not knocking your parenting. its a choice every family makes for themselves.) in my mind however, i just don't think it is a productive means of teaching a baby to go to sleep. i don't believe that babies have the capacity to calm themselves when they're so young, & i don't believe that babies have the cognitive ability to understand why they are being left to cry. of course, left to sob long enough, any child will eventually pass out. 1) they exhaust themselves, & 2) its a baby's natural response to a traumatic situation. (any NICU parent can tell you, after traumatic procedures docs often expect your baby to pass out. remember that sleeping little boy handed to you after his circumcision? yeah, that's why. babies can't control their circumstances, so its a defense mechanism when they can't handle whats going on around them--i can't tell you how many times this was explained to N after boys had ultrasounds & scans & x-rays, & tubes put in, etc. but it is still unsettling to see.) in any case, i fail to see how leaving a child to scream teaches that child to put himself to sleep.

how then do we get our boys to sleep? we do whatever they need-- we'll cuddle, or rock, or rub their back, or get a bottle, until they put themselves out. i have to be honest, we don't have alot of trouble getting them down at night. they go out pretty easily betwen 6-7pm every night.
our trouble is the day time sleep. we wake up once at night to eat (they're hungry, this is totally fine with me), but around 4-5am everyday, we start a pattern of restless sleep, where they are obviously still tired, but need alot of help to stay asleep. this means i am usually awake the entire time, until they get up for good around 7-8am. i think this is bc N gets up at 5 when he works, & refuses to turn down his alarm, so the noise & his subsequent rustling around wake them up enough that they think it's daytime. i'm debating moving myself & the boys upstairs (our master bedroom is on the ground floor, the boys' room is upstairs, far away.) i know N will hate the idea, & it will mean i handle nighttime feedings solo, but we need to do something about the sleep situation, bc its just not working for a preggo & exhausted mom, not to mention the little dudes.

& they are AWFUL nappers. they are difficult to get to sleep, & even harder to keep asleep. if their combined naps for the day total 1 hr, we're lucky. they just aren't getting enough sleep & i know it. we're trying a new regime, where we do a "nightnight" routine before naps (when i see them getting tired) & i'm back to letting them sleep in their swings, since at this point all i want is to get them in the pattern of napping. as i type, we are in the bedroom, val has just fallen asleep in his swing & conrad, who is truly exhausted, is fighting it. hard. wish us luck.

11 comments:

  1. I'll add to your "proof"!!! DS (now 2.5 years) started sleeping 10 hours a night at 3 months, 12 hours at 4 months...and other than a month between about 6 and 7 months where we stopped swaddling, he was trying to learn to crawl (in his sleep too!) and getting his first tooth...he's slept 12 hours EVERY night and RARELY wakes up. That's 12 hours solid without a PEEP since he was 4 months old (with that one month exception...and I guess a rough day or two here and there regarding travel or sickness..that kind of thing).

    Okay, DD, now 8 months...HAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She slept BEST at 2 months old and she's only gone down hill since then!!!!! We did finally try CIO at 6 months old and it appeared to go great!!! 30 minutes on night one, then she would go to sleep after just 1-2 minutes of fussing, not crying after that. Here we are 2 months later, worse then ever! She's up at least 2 times a night....cuddling doesn't work, sometimes eating will work, but wide awake, fussing, crying, blah blah blah!

    Of course I'm not doing things EXACTLY the same. Especially because I've never dealt with sleep issues of an 8 month old...but I did do their day time, night time, routines, feedings and so on very similar...DS is a dream sleeper, DD is, well, not so much!

    And yes, I agree, I've heard a lot of "snobby" comments from parents about their kids sleep. Some of which I was soooo close to knocking them out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noah started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks WHOOHOO...but in only lasted a month or so...then he was up 2x a night until 6 or 7 months (with the occasional good night where he would sleep through). Since there were nights in there that he would go all night I was told that we should try the CIO method since he was capable of going all night. I have used it on occasion when nothing seems to work...back rubs, bottles, snuggles, singing and rocking. But, I can't do it for more than 5 minutes or I am crying right along with him. It just makes me so sad! Now he is a great sleeper. For the most part he is down all night, but he still has nights or even a whole week of nights where he is up 1-2 times to snuggle, and I wouldn't trade that time for anything in the world (I love the nights I get to sleep all night, I am not denying that...but I also enjoy the late night cuddles on occasion).

    I will also say that Noah didn't nap well (or really at all) until around 7 months...then one day he started himself of a schedule. Up for 2 hours, down for 2 hours, up for 2, down for 2 then up until bedtime! It had nothing to do with my parenting...he just did it on his own.

    Looking back I laugh at myself for reading all the books while pregnant (babywise, ect)...While trying the methods to each book we were always so stressed out. It wasn't until I decided the "screw this" method where I just went with Noah's lead that we started doing fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To each her own... what works for one parent does not necessarily work for another. I agree that people can be judgmental regardless of what option you choose. How to raise a child is so personal and frankly the only people that need to live with the consequences of their choices are the parents. So, who are we to criticize?

    Allowing my boys to cry for short periods of time works for us. It is the only thing that has worked. Trust me! I tried everything before letting them cry. The only other option was to sleep in the room with them and I was not willing to do that. I only know a few co-sleepers and they still have issues with getting their children to sleep all night and the kids are in school! I was not willing to have my boys going to school and still not sleeping through the night. But that was my choice. Maybe those parents are ok with it??

    We all have levels of tolerance and we do what we need to stay within that threshold. Is one option better than the other... No, it's just different. I think the important thing is to be supportive of one another as parents rather than spending our time putting each other down because we wouldn't do things the way they are.

    I am not trying to be a "snobby" parent. One of my boys sleeps like an angel and the other is a little less angelic. And since they are raised in the exact same environment, I know it has little to do with my parenting skills. One of my boys is just a better sleeper. But I will say that my boys are not traumatized by the few minutes of crying they do during the night. They are actually in a much better mood on days when they were allowed to do their own thing at night. But, that's my boys... they obviously are not easily traumatized since they were quite happy and awake after their circumcisions.

    Maybe your ideas will change in another 5 months when you still haven't had a full night's sleep.... that was around the time when I decided to try letting them CIO... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have to add-- while i respect lisa's decission to CIO with her boys (& they are adorable healthy little men!) it's just not a solution i'm down with for our family, & i do not belive that CIO is the end game that all parents must eventually resort to. it's such an entrenched idea in american parenting, & i just don't think parents should be told that's what they MUST do to get their kid to sleep. there are gentler alternatives out there for parents like me, who don't dig the CIO brand of "get your kid to sleep".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, thank you for being able to at least respect the other side of the coin. This is one of the reasons why I have enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim (I am being lazy and not signing in)November 1, 2009 at 11:50 AM

    Kate, I do agree that it is pure luck. I don't think parent A who has a great sleeper, is a better parent then parent B who doesn't have a great sleeper.

    Out of my four children, I have co-slept with one child. Three have slept in their bed, from day one. I have two that are horrible sleepers, I have one that is a great sleeper, and one that is okay. I fully think that the methods you use needs to work for not only the parents, but the child also.

    If a parent can't do CIO who are we to say oh no you have to? Because you know what CIO does not work on every child. I had one that refused CIO and would scream for hours if I let her. I have one I never used CIO on (and FYI she is the best behaved of the bunch) I have one that CIO worked great on. Then I have one that I used CIO but I caved before him.

    Kate, I think you need to do what works for you. And ignore what the other people say. That is the fun part of being a parent you have everyone that thinks they know what is best. Which they know what is best for THEIR child, but not what is best for everychild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, each child is different, therefore you have to decide how to parent THAT child! And if someone is not comfortable CIO, then there is no reason they should!

    I'd like to add to my CIO that I don't just let my babies cry and walk out no turning back. I got in after a minute of crying, rub their back, talk to them, shhhh them, tell them I'm here, they calm down, I continue for just a minute then walk out...if they start crying again, I give them another minute and do it again. I go back in after a minute, minute, 3, 3, and so on. That's my way of "dealing" with the method I thought worked best for US!

    And like Kim said, I think some kids just don't respond to CIO! While others it works like a charm, quick and easy!

    It really does iritate me though when other parents turn their noses at me because my 8 month old still wakes up at night...sometimes twice! Trust me...it's not like I haven't TRIED to get her to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey you gotta do what you gotta do! Liam co-sleeps because he hated having his own bed, and I needed sleep, so here we are. He doesn't seep through, as you know, but hey, they are only young once...

    Kae, she slept through at 8 months, and co-slept until that point as well...and sas soon as she slept through, into her own bed she happily went.

    I tried CIO with each child, and quickly decided it's not the method to me. I think it is just to traumatizing...

    Hopefully they start co-operating fo ryou Kate, so you can sleep and get plenty of rest for little one coming

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post/discussion, Kate! I agree, snobby parents suck. M is just now 3 months and the first thing everyone asks me is, "How's she sleeping??" Ugh. Then, if I answer honestly, I have to hear all about how they had their kids sleeping 9 hours by then!

    Maybe I'll just start answering them with, "Great!!" Of course then I'd have to come up with another excuse for why I'm dragging and the bags under my eyes! :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Q wouldn't CIO. He just cried. We never really tried actually, but accidentally once we took like an hour long shower and didn't realize the baby monitor was unplugged. I dunno how long he was crying, but it was a while, he had puked on himself and was drenched in slobber, sweat and tears. I cried so hard.

    He also didn't cosleep, then did, then didn't and now does again ALL ON HIS OWN ACCORD.

    Q isn't a great sleeper, but we're getting there. THe last 3 nights he has slept from 10-6 without nursing and only waking once that requires me to actually soothe him. So it will come. I think you are doing great by listening to your babies and doing what works best for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jessie I did that once...I slept all night long and it was wonderful...then realized the baby monitor had never been turned on! My poor boy :( He was very clingy that morning so I know the poor thing had woke up in the night and no one came for him. I am not a fan of CIO...it just breaks my heart and leaves us both sad and exhausted. If Noah needs some cuddle time at night that is fine with me. And Noah started sleeping through the night when HE WAS READY...long after I was ready for it! But thats just a part of being a parent IMO.

    ReplyDelete