Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Mixed News

i don't really feel like dwelling on this, but i feel like it warrants a post, so here goes:

we had an appt with our MFM doc yesterday & while baby is just fine, he had some less than stellar news for me. apparently the risk of having another preterm baby is way higher than i thought. i was under the illusion that it was the fact i had twins that was the problem last time, but apparently it's just me. with all the surgeries i had on my cervix (years & years ago, i was maybe 21 at the time) & the fact that they can't attribute the premature rupture with the dudes to the pre-e (i wasn't truly full-blown pre-eclamptic "she could have a stroke at any minute" until AFTER delivery. apparently that's really unusual, & pretty much means that my water breaking early likely had nothing to do with my rising blood pressure.) so the surgeries, the preterm labor at 26 weeks, the shrinking cervix & the premature rupture at 33 weeks all means that it's really unlikely we'll make our due date with this one. i really hate when docs give you news like that. i know its their job & all, & just don't like hearing it. i am to think of my due date as a"goal", which is the language they started using when it became clear we wouldn't make it to term with the guys. sigh.... so i'm on prometrium for the duration of the pg in an effort to prevent early contrax & will have weekly u/s starting at 16 weeks to check on my cervix. yay.

don't get me wrong, i'm glad they're taking so many precautions, i just refuse to assume that it is a foregone conclusion that we can't make it to term. i am going to asume everything is fine & that we WILL make 37 weeks. sure, there are lots of reasons we MAY not get there, but not a single reason we CAN'T get there. so we'll just keep our fingers crossed & hope for the best.

i have to say tho, had this been a planned baby, we would have consulted with our docs prior to trying & i think after recieving this news, we might not have tried. i'm thrilled we're having #3, & am going to proceed as tho everything will be fine (bc it WILL), but we know what could have happened with the boys & we know how lucky we were to get to 33 weeks. i just have to assume this kid is here for a reason, so onward we go!

in happy news, i have lots of thanksgiving prep to do today. woohoo! i'm super excited about this cheese ball i'm making... i love cheese! :)

7 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right. There is no reason you can't make it, just a lot of reasons why you may not. I definitely hear you though. I was told the exact same thing during my PP check up after Liam. Not an easy thing to hear.

    ~hugs~

    I've never had a cheese roll....hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you had to hear that, but it sounds like your dr's are wonderful and you are in good hands. Sorry about the Pro, that stuff is awful, but I have a friend who had the shots weekly and it kept her PTL at bay until 34 weeks.

    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positive thinking is the best thing you can do for that baby. And like you said, there is no reason why you can't get to term. Maybe the fact that your last pregnancy was twins caused it to happen sooner than it would have if it were a singleton. I will hope for the best for you...

    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((HUGS))

    Lisa I have to ask do you read? She said "i was under the illusion that it was the fact i had twins that was the problem last time, but apparently it's just me." saying the issue was NOT twins.

    pPROM sucks, but with it being just one baby, you may be able to hold out a little longer? Remember I was able to hold out 3 weeks post pPROM. I can't remember if you went into full blown labor after prom with the boys.

    Sorry Kate I don't mean to bring drama to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you heard that news yesterday Kate. You can do this and you are right it is great that they are keeping a close eye on you and baby. You and baby are in my prayers. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first was 4 weeks my second 6weeks andmy third 2 1/2 weeks early. With my third I got shot weekly starting at 18 until 36 weeks. lots of ultrsound which kinda made it fun!! Worrying about early labor suxs so i put it out of my mind until I reached 30 weeks. That was my short term goal. Then I worried about the rest!! All my boys are healthy

    ReplyDelete