Thursday, November 5, 2009

it's One of Those Days

let me begin by saying N is a wonderful father. he is attentive & loving & very involved. that said, here is what happened in our house this morning.
val wakes up at 6, con follows & both have no intention of going back to sleep. so i get up, grab val (who was yelling bc he can) so he'll shush, hand him to N (who is still in bed) & say "watch val" & go to get the living room baby ready, thinking i'll take the boys out & start the day so N can sleep in. i'm just finishing putting water on for tea, when i hear a thud & just *know*. so i go running back to the bedroom to find a very upset N trying to comfort a screaming val, who has (of course) fallen out of our bed. i grab val, just bc i know he'll calm down faster with mama, & say to N (& i'm not proud of this) "what did you do?" N admits he must have dozed off, & i calm down enough myself to realize he already feels crappy enough & tell N that it could have happened to anyone (& it could). val is none the worse for the wear, & now N is definetly up, so we all get up for the day.
we put the boys down for a nap around 8, both rack out until val has a monster poop (& i mean HUGE. the running-down-his-legs-exploding-out-the-back-all-the-way-up-to-his-neck kind of huge.) so i get up, (i had been trying to nap away a headache) & clean up val & ask N to give him a quick bath while i handle the laundry situation. instead of taking val out of the room where conrad is sleeping to bathe him, N bathes him next to con's bed. so now conrad is up.
we relocate the boys to the living room, & i ask N to watch them for a couple hours so i can nap. he agrees & i remind him to feed the boys the beef i've left out for them. we've talked before about how meat is a new texture for them & they need really little bites until they figure it out.
after being kept up by this stupid headache for an hour, i finally crash, only to be awakened at 10 by N searching for clothes bc conrad has puked up all his beef. i get up, & after quizzing N decide the problem was the monster bites daddy was feeding the dude. during this discussion, conrad also decides to blow out his diaper.
sigh.
i love my husband & he is a great dad. but sometimes i have to remind myself that he is trying & spends less time with them than i do, so there is a learning curve. sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Daddies definitely do fall into the category of needing a learning curve. I find that I need to sometimes remind myself that just because he doesn't do it the way I do, it's not necessarily bad or wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, that's why daddies are daddies and we are the mommies. LOL. Sometimes they just don't "get it," even the best daddies are that way. I had to just laugh though because I know M is going to be the same way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, Kate. Seriously. The only time my dd has fallen off the bed, or out of the high chair was with my DH. I love the man....but....i don't know. He wasn't good at anticipating Eli.zabeth's needs at all. I remember how frustrating those days were, but I totally agree that there is a learning curve..

    I hope you get some decent sleep tonight.

    I'm glad you liked the craft! I haven't sent out the other two sets-but their gifts are different :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am having one of those days also. I will blog about it sometime.

    It is a good thing baby's are tougher then we think, they might not survive the daddy learning curve.

    ReplyDelete