Friday, February 13, 2009

Annoying Pregnant People & Other Random Thoughts

  • Most of the girls I know here are from the webmd TTCAL & PAL boards (although I do lurk on PAIF occasionally). After some removed posts today I finally figured out that we aren't allowed to talk sh** about other boards, no matter how well deserved. The posts in question dealt with the very annoying 1st tri board. (well, very annoying to anyone who is not a total novice or a total idiot when it comes to getting KU.) I think I'm beginning to see why Kim left for cafemom!! Although I don't think I can abandon webmd, as most of my favorite ladies are still there...
  • My apologies to anyone offended by this next rant, but it's a topic that's been driving me nuts lately. I get that once you pass a certain point in pregnancy, you are miserable. You are uncomfortable at the best & in pain at the worst. You're sick of being huge & swollen & grumpy, & ready to meet your kid already. I also understand that even women who struggled to get & stay pregnant need to complain. Even when you're incredibly grateful to be miserable, you're still miserable & it helps to vent. That said, I am fed up with whining about being 36 weeks pregnant (I'm picking an arbitrary date. really I mean anytime from 35 weeks on) & still pregnant. I just don't' get it-- why rush the kid? Pregnancy lasts 40 weeks for a reason. The babies need the time to bake, so let them have it dammit. I am 29 weeks with twins who are large for their age. I am measuring 40 weeks. I am in pain all the time. I have been on bedrest since November. I absolutely understand how miserable it is to be this huge & pregnant & immobile. That said, I wouldn't trade this for anything. I am beyond grateful to still be pregnant & hope to get even more pregnant & more miserable over the next 6 weeks. Why on earth after working so d***n hard to be pregnant would you want to put your little one at risk by pushing for an induction before your doctor recommends one? (I will further qualify this by saying I do not include in this category medically necessary inductions or multiples, or any other high risk category that might require a more supervised & structured birth.) I just wish these women who seem to spend all their energy in their last few weeks of pregnancy b*****ing with all they're worth take a moment to put things in perspective. Is a NICU stay for your child worth your physical comfort? Take a minute to remember how badly you wanted this pregnancy in the first place. I don't ask for zero b****ing, but for Pete's sake-- in moderation please! There are so many women who would give their right arm to be as miserable as you are right now, & so many more (like me) who are desperate to stay pregnant as long as you have, so before launching into yet another rant about how much your life sucks, look for some perspective. (or at least a different audience.)
  • I am super addicted to Top Chef, but I have to admit, I am a bit disappointed in the food this season. It's getting better, & I think the final 4 are pretty decent, but I think the show hit its high point during the season with Hung & Casey. Although Fabio & Stefan crack me up, so I can't complain too much. N is getting very annoyed with all the Top Chef knock-offs (a la Chopped, etc), but I secretly don't mind them... I just really like Iron Chef-style cooking shows.
  • My birds have spent the last hour in the hidey-tube in Cooper's house. (It's this big, plush, green tube hanging from the ceiling.) They're laying on their sides & preening & chewing on each other's toes, & generally having a fabulous time. Scout is even blowing kisses to her Coopy. Sometimes I am a little jealous of the charmed life they lead. As I typed this, Coop peeked out just long enough to peek at me & whistle to make sure I'm still here, then ducked back in. It's a bird's life! :)

6 comments:

  1. You know... I can make a PAL board on cafe.. We CAN get the word out. Would it be the same, no, but we could get a lot of the members over there just by blogging. I have a few of the ladies read my blog, you have a few.

    Yeah, webmd sucks, that is why they are my last stop updating place. I really prefer cafe, I like that you can make your profile, I like that you can include pics in posts, and best of all you are in total control of the board.

    As you have seen with TTCAS, we have women from every stage, no one is kicked off because they got pregnant, or had their baby. That is the understanding. We have the weekly check ins for every stage. Every topic goes.

    As far as the rants by preggos. OMG that drove me INSANE. I feel like telling them try spending ONE day in NICU hell. You WILL change your mind when you see what your baby is put through.

    BTW, your blog has became my favorite. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, your blog has become my fave too hehe. I love getting to know about you, and though your life on the couch may seem boring to you, it's really interesting to me!!! :)

    reading about your birds REALLY makes me want birds, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol-- thanks guys... i'm glad you all are enjoying my ramblings! :)

    & kim-- let's recruit!! i'm all for it

    mandy-- birds are so fun! lots of work, but such amazing creatures & great company! one of these days i'll do a bird story post... i'm just saving it for another grey day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to that! That is why I stayed on PAL, and never really bothered with the tri boards. Plus...I always hated the "am I pregnant" posts on the first tri board!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FINALLY someone said it..You have NO idea how long i have been brewing on this..seeing as I would give ANYTHING to get past 38w..and go into labor on my own..But 2x now i have had to be induced...once at 31w then 36w followed by a loss at 9w...I couldn't stand reading some of the posts there with ladies just hitting 34-35w complaining they want the kid out(like you said Kate..get some perspective pregnancy last 40 WEEKS!)Somehow they forget how bad they wanted this..now they want it over(part of the reason I'm not on the board much..I can't always keep my mouth shut)I lived through 3w of NICU H***..and I was only 20y/o at the time..I got lucky my DS was healthy..but i would have given anything to keep him in me longer..and now I struggle to keep my lil girl safe till(PRAYING!!!) 36w..and raise 5 kids I already have here(not to mention NOT killing my bro and his GF who just gave birth to a new baby girl who is addicted to drugs ...MAKES ME WANNA SCREAM!)Anyways didn't mean to rant there(on Kates blog lol)..But ya all are right some ladies need to get a grip..BTW Kate..LOVE reading your blog(SHHH I'm a closet blog junkie..Mandy..Kim..and a few others..heehee)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol-- katie, i was a closet blog reader for ages & finally got bored enough to write my own... hehehe.
    anyways, glad you appreciated my rant-- i'm with you on the praying for 36 weeks. we can do this girl!!

    & please, feel free to rant away on my blog anytime you'd like!

    ReplyDelete