Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What NOT to Say to Parents-to-be of Twins

10. "Did you do IVF?" We hear this one ALOT. It's not that we're ashamed of any fertility treatments we did, it's that we've already told everyone we wanted to know & who we knew would be supportive, so if we haven't told you-- butt out! This is especially true if you are a stranger in the supermarket.

9. "Twins? But you look so tiny!" For paranoid moms like me, this immediately starts a worry-spiral... "are the babies ok? have I gained enough weight?" etc. Conversely, you should also never say--

8. "Geez, you're enormous!" The only appropriate comment to make to a pregnant woman about her appearance is how great she looks. period.

7. "Do twins run in your family?" Again, for strangers, this is in the none-of your-business category.

6. "Better you than me." If you're stupid enough to make this statement, then you better believe we're rude enough to agree with you-- we're glad it's not you too!

5. "You're never going to sleep again." Duh. You don't need to rub it in.

4. "I hated being a twin." Please don't share your traumatic childhood memories of matching pink jumpers with future parents of twins. We have enough to deal with without hearing about your mental problems. (& yes, someone actually said this to us.)

3. Please do not tell us about every twin you've ever met. I don't understand why this seems to be a compulsion for so many people, but we don't want to hear it. If we want advice, we'll ask.

2. Please do not touch my belly without permission. I am not a lamp, there are no genies inside, please refrain from rubbing my belly. The word "twins" is NOT an open invitation to fondle my stomach.

1. "Did you have sex twice?" I don't even know where to start with this one. (& yes, someone actually asked us this.) Apparently this person slept through high school health.

and one more, just for fun--

(to my husband) "How could you do that to your wife?" Because apparently being blessed with two perfect little boys is a punishment of some sort. Also, I have to point out that these people (oh yeah, more than one has thrown this little gem at N!) must have been in the same health class as the doink who said #1... honestly, how do you get to be 30 years old & know so little about the human reproductive system?

2 comments:

  1. LOL...okay Kate, I thought of some funny responses. They are as follows:

    8. "geez, you're enormous!!!" your response: "Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but so are you."

    7. "do twins run in your family?" your response: "They're like diarrhea, they run in the genes (jeans)" ha ha... Okay, sorry, that was gross. LOL

    6. "better you than me" your response: "You're right, you absolutely couldn't handle this."

    5. "you're never going to sleep again." your response: "That's terrific, because I actually hate to sleep!"

    okay, I just noticed the time and I've got to run. Maybe I'll come up with more later, hehe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey if it makes you feel better someone actually said they thought I was going to have a girl since my butt got bigger! Nope, I just ate a lot of Oreos.

    ReplyDelete