Friday, April 17, 2009

Feeling Human

for once! :)

We just got back from the guy's doc appt, & good news-- they each gained a TON this past week! At least 2oz per day per boy! So Val is now 6lb12.5oz & Con 7lb1/2oz. They're doing really well, so I got an ok to increase the breastfeeding sessions to 2 a day (we can supplement with formula or EBM (expressed breastmilk) as needed of course), & we can start doing some normal newborn things like tummy time, etc. N gave in & we now have bouncers that are newborn appropriate & they are AWESOME. Both guys are hanging out in them now, & it is fabulous-- no one is puking, N & I both have our hands free, it's really, really, really great. (Did I mention its GREAT?)

We also got an ok to take the guys out to non-people filled venues (like a walk around the neighborhood.) Still not up to grocery stores etc, but I'll take a short trip outside-- just being able to leave the house sounds like heaven, so I'm pretty happy with that.

N & I had a good talk this morning, & he agreed to take off til 1 week past their due date (which is all I wanted originally, so I'm happy.) That way, hopefully my mom will be healthy again & can help, I can have a trial run being "on my own" at night while N is still here & available to help, & I think that will help me feel a little more confident, although I'm sure I'll still totally freak out a ton more between now & then. (yay for postpartum hormones & lack of sleep induced insanity!)


N finally 'fessed up on why he's been acting so oddly. Basically, while we're thrilled to finally be parents, having 2 little people consuming all of your time & resources (financial, emotional & otherwise) really highlights all the things you haven't done yet in your life. It's like he's having a "midlife crisis" at 30. Which is ok. I can understand that, I just need him to share those thoughts with me, otherwise I start thinking he resents me & the guys (which is totally where my mind has been headed lately) & then I start to resent him for daring to be frustrated. (bc let's be honest, no matter how amazing & helpful dad is, mom is the one who really gets the sh*t end of the stick when caring for newborns. it's just how it is, by virtue of having boobs & mommy-brain.*)

so that's where we are today. it's better place. still sleep deprived & scary, but more in control & optimistic. once again, the guys are fussing... must be time to eat!




*mommy-brain= the inability to focus on anything but your baby's cries when said baby is wailing for any reason.



N & the Con-man

Val in his bouncer (yay!)

10 comments:

  1. oh yeah, i forgot to add-- they will be 38 weeks tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! For some hands free time!! Great job on the weight! Pretty much YAY! for the entire post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, hooray for working things out with N!!! I was asking Kim what those little chairs are called that are for babies b/c I was thinking you should get some (they're Bumbo chairs, btw) but it looks like you've got it covered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear about everything!! those weights are awesome!!!!!!!! Woot for the bouncers!! Glad it's a great day and you and your DH talked about things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! I'm thrilled to hear the boys are doing so well, and I'm really glad you and N finally had a chance to have a heart-to-heart. I know my hubby and I are due for one soon... sigh.

    Enjoy your outings now that you get to have 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great update! Yay for your healthy growing boys and yay for talking things through before one or both of you lose your mind. (We have been there!) Love these updates!!
    ~Candi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad things seem to be better. The bouncy seats will help, and sounds like they are gaining weight!!
    Get some fresh air - that always makes me feel a little more human!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, thanks Kate!! I will definitely post pics of it when it's done... if it isn't too hideous and messed up, LOL. I haven't done this in awhile... the last thing I made was the beginning of a baby quilt, and um... yeah, there were some very uneven spots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are doing so well and so are you! Those weights are awesome, 2 oz. a day is incredible!

    I totally understand the mommy brain thing and you have it times 2, but don't worry it does start to gradually go away :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to grow boys!!!! And yeah for being able to get out of the house and go for walks...and bouncy seats!!!

    ReplyDelete