Saturday, April 11, 2009

home coming update & the joys of reflux

val & con sleeping/punching each other (both fav passtimes already!) on their 1st day home. (note-- we don't co-bed generally bc of SIDS, but when we're supervising we let them nap together in their pack n play during the day, since they seem happier & calmer in each other's company. & they're darn cute together, aren't they?)
forgive my bad typing today, i'm posting while holding con & he's tying up most of my left arm & it's typing abilities.

the boys have been home for 3 days now, & it is WONDERFUL having them home... although sleep has become the stuff of dreams. last night they took turns waking me every hour, which mean mom never got more than a half hour of sleep at a time--the dudes are definitely in charge! :)


all going smoothly (or as smoothly as can be expected) so far. both guys have reflux, but con's is bad enough to wake him screaming & crying (he's otherwise a very calm & peaceful baby) & i hate seeing him so miserable. the baby vitamins they're on also don't seem to be doing either guy any favors in the comfort department. their 2nd doc appt is next week, & we'll be reassessing the reflux situation then. we don't want to medicate unnecessarily, but we also don't want anyone suffering unnecessarily. (if anyone had/has reflux babies-- how did it present & how did you guys treat it? any success?)


sorry this is a really lame update... my brain is fried, but i wanted to at least let you all know we're all here & thriving (or at least the boys are & that's what matters!)

10 comments:

  1. They look so cute! I am sorry about the reflux - I can only imagine how miserable little guy must be. Hopefully the dr will have some suggestions.

    Even though you aren't sleeping, it must be great to have them home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rena( lovcats2008)April 11, 2009 at 2:53 PM

    gorgeous babies. thanks for updating. i've been checking it daily but know and understand that life is hectic right now. enjoy those boys as i know you do because it goes by so fast. Have a Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so sweet! I hope the doctor can help with the reflux, i don't have any experience with that.

    I hope you are sleeping whenever possible, seriously, it's such a sanity saver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noah had some reflux issues. We had him sleep at an angle (we put a towel under the mattress. Also we had him sitting up right as long as possible after eating and I cut out some triggers from my diet (tomatoes was a big one for Noah). I am so happy things are going great, with the exception of getting sleep...but that will come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quinlon had reflux and it was mostly triggered by dairy in my diet. Once I cut that out and he was put on zantac he went back to his normal self. THe screaming gets to you, especially since you can't do anything to make the pain go away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that you have them home!! But so sorry about the reflux. Hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!! I love the new pic! The lack of sleep is really worth it just to be able to say "my boys are home".

    Caden, I am not sure how they decided to medicate him. If I racked my brain I could probably remember, but not off the top of my head. He was put on the reflux meds when he was something like 30 weeks. I know they put him back on (they did a trial run off) the meds when he aspirated.

    They have kept him on the meds because he is a "happy spitter" meaning he still spits up, it doesn't seem to hurt him, they just want to "control" it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pictures, they are adorable!

    Hannah had reflux, but it was not diagnosed until 7 months then she was put on Zantac. I don't know if that helps much. But I do understand how it is with reflux babies, not fun. Poor guys.

    Candi

    ReplyDelete
  9. So adorable, Kate!! I'm sorry about the reflux, but I have no advice as I'm not there yet. I can't stop staring at this pic of your beautiful boys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet!!! Yeah!!!! Just now at 7 weeks (well it was last week) we started the reflux possibility and by me changing a few things I noticed a huge change immediately and the pedi hopes that's all we'll need to do and meds won't be needed in our case. Anyway, bed is angled, feedings are upright (which is super tough, but worth it while nursing), and keeping her upright at least 30 minutes after feeding!!! I started with cutting out milk and caffiene, but have added them back in without a problem...yeah! I hope you find what works for your boys!!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete