Sunday, March 29, 2009

Another Rough Day

Val is back on higher flow & more o2. It's ok, he's working really hard lately-- they've got him trying bottles now too & the dudes are doing their best. (They've each taken some whole bottles, but are still taking a lot of their feedings by gavage & BFing kind of sucks with a nipple shield. I'm tempted to get rid of the thing, but everyone swears it's good for preemies.) Overall, despite the setbacks today & last night, they're slowly moving in a good direction. (At least according to the NICU staff. N & I are too personally invested to tell much.) I just hate that they have to work so hard right now... they should be blissfully growing away, safe & sound in mom's belly. Instead, they're doing all they can to eat & breathe & stay warm. They're working so hard, & we're so proud of them, but I wish I could have given them just another few weeks.

My mom did ok today.... she didn't listen to my directions (or she did, but immediately forgot & treated them like newborns anyways.) I had to remind her not to rock, not to stroke them, to watch their chin positioning (she claimed she was, but did not & cut off Con's breathing & only listened once the nurse corrected her. Thank God I asked the nurse to hang out & supervise while she was there, or I might have had an "event" myself!) I was a huge stressball all day, & the only good part of the visit for me was that she finally ackowledged that visitors might not be the best idea right now. I really really hope the whole NICU experience sunk in & we'll have less of this "oh, they're fine" crap. I'm so surprised that this is coming from my folks. They're usually so supportive, & I just dont understand their inability to grasp the seriousness of the NICU preemie experience. Anyways, I hpoe today helped, & I already feel guilty both for letting her come & unsettle my guys & for subjecting my mom to the really awful experience of watching the baby you're holding alarm like crazy. The boys are doing ok tho, so most importantly-- no serious harm was done. (Although as I type that I feel even worse for adding stress to my poor little men's lives. Sigh... I just can't win.)

In happy news-- my best friend snuck into our house today & left us several dinners for the week. The girl can't cook to save her life, but got her parents to help out & made some really womderful dinners. When N found her note, I totally burst into tears-- it was completely unexpected & exactly the kind of help we need. She made no demands of us & just gave, & I am beyond grateful.

I am exhausted & still feeling really down.

I miss my babies. So so much. My heart breaks everytime I have to leave them.

5 comments:

  1. ((HUGS)) Hang in there momma. It will be all a distant memory before long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send your boys some love from me. I'm so happy to hear they're moving in the right direction.

    (((hugs))) for mama too. I'm so sorry you're feeling down. I know nothing I say will make it less stressful, but I hope you do find a few moments of comfort today.

    Amy (webmd)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry things are still rough. NICU life isn't easy. I am sorry your mom isn't making things easier - perhaps she is in denial? Maybe that is why she. and others, are going with the whole "they are fine" thing. I don't know - peole do and say weird things when a situation is out of their hands.

    I will continue to say my prayers for your boys. And for you. I am going to share with you what a NICU nurse shared with us - you can't take care of them if you aren't taking care of you. Now, how to do that I have no idea! Just food for thought....

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it must be so hard to leave them! (well I guess I don't know...but I can imagine). I really have no idea how hard this is for you, so all I can say is that I am thinking of you all and praying that those boys get home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's so hard to leave your babies..sending you lots of hugs and prayers.

    I'm glad your mom got a little peek at what life is like in the NICU and realized visitors are not always the best idea! I hope she remembers this!

    You are doing great mama!

    ReplyDelete