Saturday, March 21, 2009

Birth Story

Quickie update: the boys are both ok, & I'm sore, but doing ok as well. We're spending every waking minute we can in the NICU or pumping for the guys, so I will be in & out very erratically, but wanted to update while I have a sec (am waiting on a nurse. my blood pressure has been really crazy, so I promised I'd wait in my room this time until 5:30 so they can get a BP measurement before we go back to see the guys.)


Birth Story in brief: My water broke (& it was VERY obvious what it was! no doubts about peeing) at 4:35 am on Thursday morning. We got to L&D, called our OB (who got up & came in ASAP) & got a quick check on the guys. They were fine, but my blood pressure was through the roof. They let me labor until I was 5-6 cm dilated, then Baby B turned back down transverse & my rising BP made a c-sec neccessary ASAP. A half hour later, we were in the delivery OR, & baby A was born at 10:37 am, March 19, 2009, followed 2 minutes later by his brother. Both went straight to the NICU, & have been there ever since, learning how to breathe, eat & stay warm on their own. For now, I just wanted to let you all know we're doing ok-- a detailed update on the dudes will have to wait for antoher installment, since the nurse just left & we're going to kangaroo the kids.





Both boys have completely changed our lives-- they are the most perfect people I've ever seen, & the love I feel for them is beyond descpription. We're being very selfish with our time-- the guys dictate our schedule each day. N & I are doing everything we can to help them along, which at this point is offering kangaroo care as often as we can, & pumping like my life depends on it. Please keep the prayers coming! It's still early yet, & the docs are predicting around 4 weeks in the NICU.



N, me, & our beautiful boys. (baby A is on left, baby B is on right. oh, their names? stay tuned!)

22 comments:

  1. congrats on the healthy boys i m glad every thing is going well take care of your self sending you and n loads of prayers
    rachael web md

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi honey!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are #1 on my prayer list!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post, I love the picture! Can't wait to find out the names. (FYI, it's me, Brenda from WebMD)

    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay yay yay! You are in my thoughts! Hopinig for a short stay in the nicu!

    Happy birthday boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I am so glad you are all doing so well. Thanks for posting this update and the pic! You are so mean on the name thing though--You're killing us!! :p

    You will be in our prayers. CONGRATULATIONS, KATE AND N!! :)

    Allison (LetGoNLetGod)--PAL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, they are beautiful!! I am so happy to see your update. I am praying for you and your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah and I were looking at your picture and she was asking me all about it. When I told her about the boys she said " When they grow up will they be my friends" I said they live really far away and she thought for a second and decided "they will be my friends anyway" :) They have a friend in Hannah. Just wanted to share that with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *crying* they are so beautiful, Kate. I'm so proud of you. Thousands of hugs and quick recovery vibes for all of you.

    Amy (Impossiblewoman)--PAL

    ReplyDelete
  8. HUGE hugs and prayers..we love you and they are so handsome!!!I don't care what you name them I'm just so happy they are doing so well!!LOL Take care and be as selfish as you want with your time that's what you are supposed to do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. words can't even express my excitement and happiness for you guys!!! the boys are beautiful and you and N look so happy!!! I've been so anxious to hear from you!! Happy birthday boys!! I can't wait to see more pics of you and find out your names!!! Your mom is so mean to keep it from us STILL!!! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Kate, I am so happy for you, and they are just adorable! Gotta say though, I was REALLY hoping to read some NAMES on your blog here! Ahhh! Anyway, sending you lots of positive thoughts and short-NICU-time vibes! Big hugs!

    LauraSNJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate, Girl I am so proud of you.. those boys are gorgeous!! They are just so lucky to have such wonderful parents like you two!! Make sure you take care of yourself too...but give those boys a great big hug and kiss for us!!

    Jamie (Jamiesfirst Webmd)

    ReplyDelete
  12. KATE!!! So wonderful to get such a great update!! I know you will do everything humanly possible to make the boys stay in NICU as short as possible because you are SUPERMOM!!! And seriously, I got all excited to see your update on PAL and thought we'd get to hear their names! You stinker! Just kidding, I just care that you and N and the nameless boys are happy and healthy! I've missed you!
    Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay!! I am so glad to see an update. :) You and the boys look fantastic! Try to get some rest - you are going to need your strength to keep up with that schedule.

    Hope your bp gets straightened out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great update!! Sounds like the boys are doing great! Congrats!

    Take all the time you need, we will be here waiting for more updates.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday!! I am so thrilled that you are pumping for them. It is seriously the greatest gift you can give your boys!

    You are in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ive been thinking about you all day! They are so cute! Im so glad that they are both doing well. Im sending speedy recovery vibes for you and both the dudes. Love you all! Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kate,

    Just wanted to say I was thinking about you & the little guys! *Hugs*

    ~Sonya (WebMD)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many congrats! Your boys are beautiful and you look great mama! Glowing! My prayers are with mommy, daddy, and of course your sweet, strong boys. I can't blame you for spending every waking (and sometimes half sleeping) moment in the NICU...I know that's the only place you want to be right now!
    Hugs and prayers,
    Shelley (MNHall - webmd)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!!! Congrats!!! I am so freaking happy for you and happy they are healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Kate! This is Anissa from the twins board. My girls spent 19 days in the hospital, so I know what you are going through. Wishing you the best as you start your life journey in a new role--as a mommy! The boys are beautiful. I pray for a quick recovery for you and them. Congrats again, fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ps....Maybe they will get out sooner than you think, as my girls were born 5 weeks premature, and at smaller weights than your dudes....keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rena( lovcats2008)March 23, 2009 at 6:24 AM

    Your little guys are so beautiful. I am so happy for you and your dh. I'm praying that they continue to do well and get to come home with you really soon.

    ReplyDelete