Monday, March 30, 2009

Chaos

In an effort to be helpful, my mom was putting things away in our second bedroom while we were in the NICU with the guys. She inadvertently shut our cat (Felon) in the room, which is also where we've been storing baby stuff, for 15hrs. We found him, let him out & she offered to wash all the clothes, sheets, etc that had been on the bed where Felon had made his "nest." While doing this, she discovered that he had peed & pooped all over everything on the bed. Specifically, ALL of our boys' things-- clothes, towels, sheets, blankets. Everything. Everything got washed, unfortunately it all got washed with MORE cat poop that somehow got missed & made it through to the dryer. I don't know if any of you are familiar with cat stink, but it NEVER goes away. Everything smells totally foul. She tried vinegar & baking soda-- no help. The clothes, etc. are not bleach safe, & we don't know how to clean this stuff so that its safe for the guys. (& me, since we would like to TTC again & don't want toxoplasmosis.) So we're thinking we have to toss everything. We're going to check with the boys' docs & see what they think, but we don't want our kids hanging out in cat stink-- that stuff is toxic. This would mean everything we got at our shower is gone. The first outfits Val & Con ever wore-- gone.

Sigh.... I'm grateful my guys are doing well, but can't we catch a break on the small stuff in the meantime? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry over our cat crap chaos, so I did both. I'm SOOOO frustrated. Thank God the guys had a good day today or I might have lost it totally.

9 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie! I promise things will start looking up for you...You have been through so much and now this? Would you email me? Noah has SO MUCH stuff (new) that he has not used and probably wont even get a chance to use that I would love to send. Just tell me what you need and I will go through his stuff and send some things! It is the very least I can do.

    mize.amanda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have C mans newborn stuff that he has outgrown that I can send your way. There isn't much only about 5 sleepers, but they all have snaps (just in case of wires).

    I would rather they go to someone who can use them then just sitting in my closet collecting dust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment back- Feel free to link to my blog, or C & P if you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, try Oxy-clean. Not sure if it';ll be ok for the boys, but I know that stuff we have had in the past that a cat got (we have a kitty with bladder issues) the oxy-clean worked pretty well at getting the smell out....

    Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kate, I am so sorry. I wish I had boy things to pass along to you. Your handling it so well, I think I would have had a breakdown! So happy to hear the boys had a good day. :)

    Candi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry, it's overwhelming enough when one of the cats does that when it's not the baby's stuff.

    I would suggest several washings with a cup of "Pet Stain & Odor OUT" enzymatic cleaner from Wal-Mart in addition to the soap. That has always done the trick for us-no traces.

    Amy (webmd)

    ReplyDelete
  7. DH and I were talking... I have never had to use free and clear on any of my babies until C came along. When he came home he got a horrible rash from the laundry soap. I washed everything one time in the free and clear, and it removed the residue from the other cleaners.

    So what I was thinking, you might be able to find something that will remove the smell, then wash the boys things in a free and clear soap. I myself would rewash a couple of times just to make sure there is no residue left from the odor remover.

    The boys are still at least 2 weeks from release right? You still have time for the chemicals to work there way out. They say not to use chemicals starting a week before discharge. At least that is what my NICU said. Check with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey..you could also try taking it all to a professional cleaners and see what magic they can do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no!!! How disappointing!! I hope you find a way to get the stink out!!!

    ReplyDelete