Saturday, March 21, 2009

Our Boys

Valentin Nolan, 4lb 15oz, 17 inches, 10:37am, March 19, 2009, (Val)

Conrad Michael, 5lbs 2oz, 18 3/4 inches, 10:39am, March 19, 200, (Con)


Val holding N's thumb and working his paci.

Both guys are doing great-- Con went on room air last night at midnight & has been doing amazing on it since. (Very few episodes of apnea & fewer brady's-- most self-recovering.) He ripped out his feeding tube so many times they switched it to his nose (he's still ripping it out, but isn't ready to go off it yet, so he's stuck for a while.) Val is on 1liter of oxygen still, but at 21% (very low) but he's working a little harder to breathe, so we don't want to rush him. He's also having some bloody nose/snot issues. The bloody noses are likely bc his nasal cannula is drying, so they added a humidifier this afternoon & he seems to be much more comfy now. The snot he's still working out from the c-sec (amniotic fluid doesn't get squeezed out of their lungs during a c-sec like it would in a normal birth). All their chest x-rays are clear so far. Their arms are splinted to keep their IV's in & secure.
They're both doing really well on their feedings so far, so if they keep it up (no major spitting up & make sure they're digesting everything) they'll be weaned off their IV's at 3am tonight. (fingers crossed! Altho they will leave a track line in just in case.) Their issoletes are still keeping them warm. They need to be able to maintain their body temps at 27deg Celsius before they can try a big boy crib, & right now Val's is around 30 & Con's is set at 31.5. Tomorrow they think we might be able to put them to breast for the first time. (They won't get much, if anything, but it's good practice for them & me.)
They each have a "dimple" at the base of their spines (Con's is slightly larger) & they're having u/s on Monday to make sure the dimples are merely that-- the docs want to make sure the skin is closed over them & that their spinal cords aren't affected. It's likely just a precaution, but we want to be sure.
I know there's more, but that's the basic NICU update. I'm a little nervous that they're progressing so quickly, but thrilled at the same time. We just want to be sure they move at their own paces.
& on their names: N picked their first names out of 2 of his fav books, "Nolan" is after their daddy, & "Michael" is after both grampa's. (& for those of you wondering-- Valentin is pronounced: "Val-en-teen"). Sorry to keep you all in suspense, but I couldn't resist teasing you guys a bit longer! :)

14 comments:

  1. Congrats. They are beautiful and sound like they are little fighters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Kate! They are so cute, and I am glad to hear that they are doing well! You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh....can you tell if they are identical yet? They look so much alike I was wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JFerreira9 From WebMDMarch 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

    Hey Kate!
    I doubt you remember me, I had my LO on Dec 17th...but i've been lurking following your two little guys since...Congrats!! :) It is so exciting to see pics of your LO's so soon *your the best blogger* lol. But good luck, and its so good to see how well they are doing. Enjoy being a mommy - I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful and it sounds like they're doing great! Dh and I love your names!

    I think I know the dimples they have, I have them too. I'm sure it's fine.

    Congratulations!

    Amy (impossiblewoman--pal)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great names - and beautiful babies! I love how they are sucking on those paci's!

    My nephew had the dimple too - and everything ended up fine. I hope that everything ends up fine with the little ones. Keep us updated.

    Hope you are feeling okay. That is so exciting that you will get to try nursing a bit tomorrow. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, they are doing so wonderful! 21% is room air! Keep the great updates coming! They look great!

    BTW, I sent you an email with some details I forgot before (more info for you versus NICU info).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Kate!!! They are PRECIOUS!! Enjoy your beautiful boys :). Keep these updates coming when you can...! I'm so happy to hear that they are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so adorable! Parker has a dimple (they called it a sinus at the hospital) at the base of his spine, too. They didn't do an ultrasound but 2 docs checked it out and both said it was nothing to be concerned about. I hope the same is true for Val and Con!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh look at those amazing boys! They are just gorgeous! And looking so strong already! Congrats again!!!! I love the pic of Val holding N's hand..awwwww!!!! Thinking about you guys and praying for those boys...I know they are going to do just great..they already are!
    Shelley (MNHall - webmd)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are truely amazing! Wonderful, strong names too. Can't wait to see more pics and watch them grow!

    You did a wonderful job Mommy ~ (You are no longer Kate BTW...you are now officially Mommy!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Kate, they are incredibly beautiful! And I love their names! Your update has made my morning start off wondefully, I am just absolutely thrilled for all of you and cheering you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kate I'm so incredibly happy for you guys. The boys are beautiful! I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks.

    You have done an incredible job and I know you will be such a wonderful Mommy!

    Kristy (babygonzales from PAL)

    ReplyDelete
  14. (Sorry for the late comment)

    Congratulations Kate! Your boys are beautiful! I'm glad to hear that they are doing well. I'm so happy for you! Congrats again Mommy!

    Laura (lauralou from PAL)

    ReplyDelete