Saturday, March 28, 2009

Random Updates on LIfe in the NICU

Nolan & Conrad, kangaroo-ing

Today was one of those rough NICU days, for those of you who've had kids there-- you know what I mean. (for those of you who haven't had kids there, I hope you never know what I mean.) The guys are doing ok, it was just a rough one on mom & dad. Val is back on oxygen (which is fine-- anything he needs, we want him to have.) The guys run the show & everything happens at their pace, but some days are just more wearing than others.

Also-- my mom is coming with me to the NICU tomorrow. I don't know that I'll let her touch/hold the guys (we want to keep them as stress-free as possible), but I need a ride up there (N has a mandatory work meeting) & we decided it might be good for her to see what the NICU is really like. Alarms constantly going off & tubes & monitors everywhere, etc. We spoke to our nurse today & she agreed it would be ok, just to move at the boys pace, & that it might actually help to have a nurse explain to her the difference between a preemie & a newborn (i.e. preemies really do have special needs, they are NOT just tiny, cute newborns.) So please cross your fingers it goes well. I know I'm in charge & the nurses are awesome & will give me all the support I need, but I'm still really anxious about her visit. Wish us luck!

Because I'm feeling stressed & anxious, I'm going to focus on something positive...

Breastfeeding rocks. :)

(disclaimer: this is NOT a knock on moms who can't or choose not to breastfeed. It really is a lifestyle change & just doesn't work for everyone. I would NEVER judge of condemn a mom for making a choice other then mine-- we all have to do the best we can with the hand we're dealt.
That said, I adore bf-ing. Even though I'm pumping most of the time (& it is MUCH harder to be motivated to get up every 3 hrs for a pump than it is to get up for my kids), it's one of the few things I can do that really makes me feel like a mom. N loves it too-- he is totally committed to making it as easy for me as possible. he cleans & sets up our pump every time I use it, sterilizes everything every day, keeps a log of when & how long & how much we pump, & brags to anyone who will listen how much milk we're getting & how great it is for the dudes. & it is great for the dudes-- they've had zero residuals left in their tummies since we switched to all breastmilk, they didn't need the jaundice lights, & are gaining weight wonderfully (knock wood.) & there are few things as beautiful as a happy baby sucking away. I know not everyone is as enamored of bf-ing as I am, but I love it. I totally lose track of time & get lost in the private moments I get to share with my sweet boys.

8 comments:

  1. great photo of Con with N. It really shows you just how little he is (Con not N!)

    i am so happy for you that the boys are doing well. It is hard to believe that they are still not even due for another 5 weeks, and yet look at them..growing stronger every day! You are doing a wonderful job Kate. Keep doing exactly what you are doing and we will soon be looking at picture of Con and Val in their car seats headed home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh kangaroo time is the best!!

    Great job on breast feeding!! Your right, it is the best thing for them.

    I think your mom does need to see the NICU, maybe she will have a better understanding what you and N are dealing with. It is not a vacation.

    Sorry about the bad day. I hope your bad days become fewer and fewer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...reading about N talk about BFing reminds be so much of Brandon. When Noah was brand new he would get so excited to see how much I was pumping! Seeing Brandon as a new daddy made me fall in love with him all over.

    I wish you luck with your mom tomorrow. Hopefully this will be a great way for her to see just how careful you have to be with premies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pictures is adorable. I am so happy to hear you fighting to BF. I am such a boob nazi and hate to hear that people don't bother to even TRY BFing. It is hard. HARDER than hard at times, but those beautiful moments when that baby is nursing away with that blissful look on their face top almost every other moment on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally made me cry(I'm an emotional mess today so yeah)..anyways,I am so proud of you,no pumping isn't AS great as BFing but like you said whatever you can do for the dudes you do!N sounds like a wonderful Dad already..of course!And even for a bad day you sound so happy just taking care of the boys.Good luck with your mom today(I know the stress of who you should let in the NICU..it's never easy to make the choice)But you are so strong and know your boys and you will see when they have had enough.Don't feel bad about any of your decisions..those are YOUR kids and you know what is best for them...anyways,have a great day with your boys and just know we are thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so great to see your updates. Those boys have the most wonderful parents. I will be praying for you today!

    Candi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pic makes my heart happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww, I love the pic. And the part about BF'ing just made me smile!
    Shelley (MNHall)

    ReplyDelete