Thursday, March 26, 2009

NICU Related Family Rant, Part II

First-- thank you!!! I wish I could wrap all you ladies in a big hug, I REALLY needed to hear those words of support today.
My mom, who had been our "go-to" person, apparently lost her mind today. My brother is in town, & while we've had this talk with my folks before, it never seems to sink in. My brother can be pretty selfish & has been known to single-handedly ruin family gatherings (& does, nearly everytime he comes home. It's not entirely his fault, as my folks refuse to acknowledge how unreliable he is & continue to rearrange their lives around him. N & I refuse to do this, & it creates some tension.) Anyways, they called last night to see when he bro could see the boys. I said I wasn't sure, & IF he'd be able to, it would have to be time-limited & at a time that didn't disrupt the boys. They were a bit annoyed with that, but seemed willing to work with us. UNTIL-- they told me the bro was sick on Monday. With the flu. & wen we said we're really sorry, but no way is he getting in the NICU then, my mom got SUPER annoyed. I could hear the pissiness in her voice & she actually had the balls to say "but it was over 72 hrs ago & was probably food poisoning." Are you kidding me? When I got upset over her tone & said I don't appreciate her questioning parenting decisions, she said "well, I've had a sick kid before. I think you're just overtired, so I'll let you vent on me, even though I already apologized to N." At that point I was so upset I just hung up. This woman knows what we went through to have these boys. I gave up pretty much everything to keep this pregnancy, we lived in constant fear of losing them, & we already lost 2 kids-- losing another is a very real fear for us. She's been nothing but supportive & awesome... right up until the minute my brother is involved, & then suddenly my caution (which she totally agreed with last week) is now paranoia & explaining why the NICU is not similar to having a "sick kid" is "venting". I expected so much better from her, & am really hurt that she can't see that she's putting her son's selfish crap ahead of my sons' health.
N & I were super hurt & upset by this crap this morning. I actually checked with the neonatologist bc I was feeling so guilty, & the doc totally agreed with us. Half of me wants to explain to my folks why their expectations of us & the boys are inappropriate, & half of me knows it won't change anything, as long as my brother is involved. When all is said & done, I know we made the right decision-- every time they've had visitors, the guys have had some sort of event that has moved them backwards, & we WILL NOT take any unneccary chances with them. I just hate that people who I generally respect & find solace in are acting like spoiled children right now-- I want them to see where we're coming from, but I don't know if that's possible.

3 comments:

  1. Well hopefully your mom is just overwhelmed by the whole situation and that's why she's lost it a little. (Positive thinking!) It's easy for parents to overlook the flaws in their children, so your mom may just want your brother to be able to give you and the boys support too, not realizing the severity of complications that can be caused to NICU babies by what most would consider a harmless illness. I know it's hard and you're so stressed, as all of us would be, but it might help your own sanity to believe that she's trying to be as supportive as she can and just wants the best for you and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really really annoying and disrespectful and rude of your family. The flu is a VERY serious health risk for any baby, let alone a premie! I can't even believe that they would even consider the possibility of exposing your boys to that!

    I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. You have more than your fair share on your plate right now as it is. My advice (which you seem to be doing anyway)...don't even worry about anyone or anything your N and the boys. Anyone and everyone should be totally understanding and if they aren't now, they will probably get it eventually (and if not...who care's as long as those boys are getting what is best for them)

    I hope things get less stressful for you! I am thinking of you, N and the boys! Thanks for updating with pictures. I am sure I can speak for everyone when I say that we all really enjoy seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flu??? Oh no way! Even if you were ok with it, which I know you're not and I wouldn't be either...but the NICU rules I'm sure state, NO WAY!!!

    I'm so sorry you are dealing with this, especially at a time that is so emotionally draining to start!

    Hugs and prayers.
    Shelley (MNHall)

    ReplyDelete